Friday, December 15, 2023

Finger Lick'n Good!


I had a hanker'n for pork spareribs the other night but not just your typical barbeque ribs, no.  Rather, I was wanting the ribs my mother used to make using the Chinese style AH-SO sauce!

It was too cold out, therefore the grill was out of the question, so instead I opted to broil them in the oven.  The problem with the broiler is the smoke it usually creates when cooking (at least when I cook, HA).  Even with the oven fan on high it didn't prevent my smoke alarms from going off; ALL four of them, since they're all linked.

Outside of the panicked and confused look on Trixie and Oliver, no worries.  Turned on the ceiling fan and opened the slider and after a couple of minutes the problem was solved.

However, this is where that dink "Murphy" comes in, alas.  For whatever reason, the smoke alarms going off woke them from their dormancy, with the living room alarm constantly chirp, chirp, chirp, UGH!  The challenge being is this particular alarm is mounted on the ceiling; my vaulted ceiling, some 15 or so feet high! Now it couldn't have been the alarm I'm able to reach using a small stool, of course not!  Has to be the most challenging one of the bunch, thanks 'Murphy'.

In order to address this alarm, living room furniture needed to be moved, a blanket put down and my 15' aluminum ladder needed to be carried inside.  Of course the ladder, by virtue of being stored outside was filthy, covered with leaves and pin needles that needed to be cleaned first, then I had to wrap towels around the ends that leaned against the wall so not to mark or scratch the paint.

In the end, and as designed, the chirping is letting you know that the 9-volt backup battery needs to be replaced, DUH!  I replaced that, reinstalled and performed a test and no more chirping.

All normal maintenance at the end of the day.

By the way, the ribs came out perfect and were delicious!  I reminisced and enjoyed each and every bite!

No comments: