Thursday, December 14, 2023

Who Remembers 'Paperama'

Circa 1987


With my new Christmas tree up, I'm finally going through some of my mothers old Christmas ornament.  They've been stored in the garage for years and now is an ideal time to see what I have and even get them hung!  I came across three boxes of bulbs, all with Paperama price stickers, see below, and made back in the day when things lasted -

Paperama was a cross between a supermarket and a discount store and was owned by the John S. Cheever Co.  In their heyday, they had (16) stores, with one being in Norwood, the next town over from my home town of Westwood.  Sadly, the company into problems in the early 1990's, with falling sales leading to suppliers and lenders tightening credit. The John S. Cheever Co. filed for bankruptcy in 1994, and later that year, the Paperama stores were sold to Long-Island-based  Party Experience. That company closed the stores in 1998.





Hanging some of these bulbs to my Christmas tree adds a nice bit of nostalgia and brings back some wonderful memories.

#Blessed 

No comments: