Friday, January 12, 2024

Who Remembers 'Bradlees'

Circa 1958



On my afternoon walk the other day, I scored myself a vintage but new, never used 32-gallon Rubbermaid trash barrel.  There were a number of items curbside, free for the taking, as the house had just been sold.  C'mon, how could I resist such a find?!

Being that this barrel is in pristine condition, intact with lid and never used is impressive when you take into account that the Bradlees stores filed for bankruptcy in 2000, with all of its stores eventually closed by March 15, 2001!

A quick search on Amazon for a similar 32-gallon, heavy duty trash can runs about $25 bucks, which does NOT include built-in wheels or locking lid and on Walmart, it'll set you back about $20.  The price increase isn't too steep seeing it's been ~23 years but I suspect there's a noticeable difference in the products quality and durability. Sadly, things made today just don't last.

No comments: