I was slow on the drawn with my camera at capturing these Canadian Geese flying by. I heard them approaching but still didn’t react quick enough.
Perhaps, because I’ve been conditioned with SO many of these honkers back home, where they’re actually more of a nuisance, in my opinion anyway, that I was slow on the draw.
You see them ALL over back home! They’re paired up in the spring in areas where they chose their nesting spots. Pretty much wherever there is some sort of water.
Yes, their gosling are adorable but that cuteness wains as they grow and there are scads of these waterfowl taking over. It’s not the animals per se but the “goose grease” they cover everything with, 🤢! This is problematic at ball fields, parks, businesses, golf courses and public spaces.
This group I captured needs to work on their flying formations. They were in two groups with one kinda in a vee but the other not even close -
Seems I recall, back when I was a youte, these critters were seldom seen and when you did see them they were typically flying overhead and in tight vee formation! They were on the brink of extinction at one point in time, however, conservation programs successfully brought them back.
They don’t have many real predators to keep them in check; yes, coyotes and foxes, which is one reason why there numbers have exploded.
They’re still federally protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which is one reason why there are millions of these bird and why you see them everywhere.
They don’t seem to be as invasive here in East Tennessee, as I can count on one hand how many times I’ve seen them since being here. Maybe I’ll appreciate them more by having less encounters with them but they definitely need to work on their flying formations first.


No comments:
Post a Comment