Friday, August 21, 2026

Edible Starchy Nut Tree

I haven’t seen one of these trees in a VERY long time!

Do you know what type of tree this is, HMMM?!



This brings me back to my childhood home and back to Burgess Avenue and stirs up some wonderful memories.

A neighbor, and close friend to the family, had one of these trees in their front yard and I was always intrigued by it. The nuts would litter the lawn and street when they began falling. I don’t recall if the homeowners ever collected these and ate them or not.

The spiny burrs on the outer husks of these nuts 🌰 are vicious, so care and gloves should be used when handling, for the weeny people anyway -


This is a chestnut 🌰 tree and it’s in the neighbors yard here in Limestone, directly across from the mailbox.

I’m not sure if this is a horse chestnut or a sweet chestnut tree. This will need some further investigation. I’ll need to grab and open one of these nuts to be able to be certain. Determining which type of chestnut is vitally important because horse chestnut are toxic to eat!

No comments: