Friday, July 31, 2020

a.k.a. “Candlewick plant”

Like the Golden Rod, Mullein is considered an invasive weed but Mullein is also herb with a slew of medicinal purposes and another favorite of mine.  For example, did you know that Native Americans and soldiers during the Civil War era made teas from leaves of mullein plants to treat asthma. During the 1800’s, settlers used it in their compounds to treat tuberculosis.

Well, I'm not growing it for the above reasons, actually I'm not intentionally growing it at all.  However, I don't pull it when I see it growing.  I like it's addition to our perennials and flowers, the flower stem looks similar to snapdragons, the bees love them and they get super tall, as you can see in the pics below.

We have one or two here and there through our yard but they've congregated and do very well here at the end of our driveway.


No comments: