Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Welcome To The Newly Painted Ole Homestead!

Our large project for 2020 was to paint the house!  However, before that could happen we had to address the dried out, curled, cracked and rotted clapboard around the house.  The south side and rear of the house was in the toughest shape, as they get the brunt of sun and elements.  The front and north side wasn't too bad.

I had it in my head that I needed to replace ALL the clapboard on the south side and rear of the house.  I had a couple contractors stop by to take a look and give me some estimates - replace with like cedar clapboard or use a newer much more expensive composite like hardyboard or vinyl side the entire house.  All quotes were very expensive and just didn't sit right.  When I told the last contractor who stopped by and who I called at the last minute, what I was thinking about he said, "why replace everything?". His recommendation was to replace only the clapboards that were damaged and that most of what he was looking at wasn't in bad condition.  What an idea!!  Hit me like a ton of bricks to which I asked when he could start.  The rest his history.  One interesting item this contractor mentioned which turned out to be spot on, was that the incorrect nails were used when the clapboard was originally installed, nails that were not ribbed.  So, when the board dried and began to curl they were simply pulling the nails out too.  Not only did they replaced clapboards but they also re-nailed most of what stayed on the south side and rear of the house to prevent that issue from reoccurring. Brilliant!

About the same time as finding this contractor, Crawford Construction, I began my search for a house painter.  I turned to a local Franklin Facebook page, same page I found the contractor on, and there I was fortunate to find another local and fantastic company.  Ironically, this painter lives behind our house; his property corner touches ours. 

Sennott Superior Painting turned out to be top notch.  I've not met a more hardworking young man in quite some time.  The work and time he put in was impressive.  Not only that but much of the time he spent on ladders at our place it was scorching hot with humidity in the upper 60's, god awful but he kept plugging away.

Lo and behold the work is finally complete!  New base color - Sage Green, new trim color - Creamy White and new door color - Coral Gables.  We couldn't be happier with the outcome!


Finished product, front -

Finished product, south side -

Finished product, rear -

Finished product, garage side -

Finished product, pool shed -



Primed first coat, front -

Primed first coat, south side - 

Primed first coat, rear -



Power-washed, scrapped & sanded, south side -

Power-washed, scrapped & sanded, front -

Power-washed, scrapped & sanded, rear -



Clapboard replacement & new windows, south side - 

Clapboard replacement, rear -


Clapboard replacement, front & side -



Original south side -

Just need to book some time with a therapist to help overcome the anxiety of having two construction teams working in and out of my flower beds, gardens and yard.  Those of you who know me understand, so as you can just imagine there was a whole lot of "Goosfraba" chanting taking place around here these last couple of months.  It's gonna take some time but I'll be fine...

No comments: