Sunday, October 25, 2020

Rain Barrel Comets

Emptied our last 55-gallon barrel of it's collected rainwater, time for it's winter nap.  Unfortunately, this means the two comet fish need to come indoors, UGH.  As you can see in the pic they're huge!  I ran out of fish food months ago, so really the only food they got was what insects fell into their water and mosquitos .  I would toss in earth worms or grubs or other caterpillars I'd come across but by in large they were on their own.  The last time I visited my farmer friend, he gave me a half dozen Water Hyacinth plants that I plopped in the 55-gallon barrel.  They did very well too, with some of their rooms almost 12-15" long.  I suspect the fish eat that too.  Honestly, the fish inside is too much work keeping the bowl clean and all but not too many options.  They look good for having spent the past two summers outside in their barrel.

No comments: