Sunday, September 27, 2026

Edible Starchy Nut Tree - Update

Here’s an update to my earlier post, see link below, about a neighbors chestnut 🌰 tree -

Edible Starchy Nut Tree 

Here it is the end of September and the chestnuts 🌰 have started to turn, ripen, open and fall to the ground allowing me to make a definitive identification on the exact type of tree this is!

Survey says…a Chinese chestnut 🌰 tree

Otherwise known as a sweet chestnut 🌰 tree, which produce delicious, sweet, edible nuts - 


But beware, they’re protected by intensely sharp, needle-like prickles!


I’m not sure if the owners of this tree collect the nuts 🌰 or not. They’ve just started to turn and fall, so we’ll see.

I can’t say that I’ve ever roasted or even tasted a chestnut 🌰 but we’re coming into “chestnuts roasting by an open fire πŸ”₯” season…

No comments: