Saturday, July 01, 2023

Just Call Me Mr. McGregor



We're overrun with wild rabbits and they're doing a number on my plants.  I chase them off when I can but that does nothing, as they simply come back.

So, in an effort to try and get a handle on these pests, I've set my Hav-a-heart traps.  Unfortunately, this curious young opossum got itself trapped instead.  I had to wake the dude up and coax him out but once out he scurried off.  Hoping he sticks around, as opossums are great at insect control, especially ticks.

Actually, you can even see the damage the rabbits are doing in the second picture above.  Those plant stems just ahead of the opossum are balloon flowers and should be full of leaves and much taller but seems the rabbits find these tasty and are constantly eating them, even when new leaves appear they don't last long, UGH!


 Rabbits are a bit more cautious and more difficult to trap but I'm patient, and eventually my patients will pay off.  In the meantime, I wait.

No comments: