Friday, May 26, 2023

SFrye732 Gardening Tip


I'm going to share a gardening tip of mine with you all.  I've been doing this for many years now and it seems to work.  However, I do plan to make an adjustment this gardening season.

We have a local store in my areas called Ocean State Job Lot, which carries a large variety of spices at a reduced cost.  Whenever I'm in the store, I will pick up a jar or two of some hot-type spice.  My last trip I bought Cayenne Pepper and Chili Powder.

What I typically do is sprinkle these spices on the plants and veggies that the deer, rabbit and woodchuck tend to favor.  I wet the plants first, then apply the spice so it adheres better.  Of course, if we have a rain it needs to be reapplied.  Now, I don't apply these spices if and when the plants have veggies growing, for example on my broccoli, as I don't want to taste the lingering effects.

This season I am going to use the same spices but dilute them in water, so I can spray the liquid on the plants.  I'm thinking I will get a better over all plant covering using this method.  We'll see how this method goes.

A safe and effective way to deter pesky critters versus some sort of deadly-type chemicals.

No comments: