Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Tomato Canning, Of Sorts...

It was a wet summer here in New England, the complete opposite of the summer of 2022. The lawn and plants loved it, with everything looking nice and green.

My veggies did well too, for the most part. Even though I ate scads of BLTs and tomato salads, and adorned my Friday night pizzas with fresh cut tomatoes, I lost so many more, which I attribute to the weather.  Some days and weeks too much rain, others very little and I think the inconsistency contributed to the loss.  That and the deer seemed to take more of a fancy to my tomatoes this season than in the past.

Anyway, in an effort to try and salvage the remaining tomatoes, I picked what I could; the good and the bad, cut them up, cored them, gave them a quick boil, then peeled them and cut them up for freezing.  Yes, this is not canning but hoping I can use these in the crock pot this coming winter. 


Here are a couple of the batches I saved and froze -



I will be gearing up for next season and plan on taking a stab at actual "canning" of my tomatoes.  I have everything I need, will just need to do some homework on my options and the methods but rest assured, I'll be ready!

No comments: