Saturday, November 11, 2023

Oh, That's YOUR Responsibility!

Who Knew?!

So, the object pictured below is referred to as the "weatherhead".  The weatherhead is a weatherproof service drop entry point where overhead power wires enter a building.

The homeowner is responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the weatherhead, as well as the service entrance cable, meter box and the Main service panel - of course we are!  The electric company is responsible for only the overhead outside lines to your residence and the electric meter - of course that's all they're responsible for.

We pay through the nose for services, e.g. electric, gas, cable, etc., yet when you run into issues and you reach out to the given provider, they're all to quick to avoid responsibility at all cost and throw them back on you, the homeowner.

Pictured below is my weatherhead and I've circled in red the concern I have with it, which is that the bolt securing it to the side of the house has just about worked itself free. I'm worried about heavy, wet and icy snow accumulating on the wire, weighing it down and potentially ripping it from the side of the house.

It's too high for me to get at, otherwise I would tighten or replace the existing bolt but also since we're talking about live electrical wires here, I'm a tab leery.  Therefore, I have no other choice than to reach out to an electrician who's willing to come take care of this.

If it's not one thing, it's another with home ownership but well worth it in the end!

No comments: