Thursday, November 16, 2023

Too Many Rx Commercials!

What's the deal with all the endless drug company TV commercials that run constantly these days?  There are far too many and honestly, so darn annoying!

Show of hands, how many people actually see a drug commercial ad, ponder it, then actually reach out to their doctor to inquire about it?!

Speaking for myself, my primary care doctor and I are in sync and on the same page regarding my care!  We've been working together for a long time now.  I agree with the plan we have in place and working against and I trust her.  SO, there is NO need for me to reach out to her to inquire about a drug I saw on TV, stop it!

Seems doing so is like self diagnosing yourself on WebMD, then calling your doctor with your findings. I suppose there are people out there that do this, certainly not the approach I would take. Absolutely be involved and informed with your care, ask questions but also remember (chances are) you're not a doctor.

There is this one drug ad that seems to run all the time lately, it's a Jardiance commercial, and it really irks me for some reason and I find it most annoying. Don't get me wrong, they're all annoying, much like spam telephone calls, but this one just rubs me the wrong way! I also find it one of the most hypocritical ads I've seen!  

So, the main woman in this commercial professes to taking a jardiance pill once a day for her type 2 diabetes. Now, let's be honest here the woman in this video is obese and morbidly overweight, which is a HUGE (no pun intended 😁) contributor to diabetes AND so many other health issues.  Rather than being so upbeat, bubbly and happy that she's relying on medication to fix or control her diabetes issues, how about she control her eating (diet) and introduce more physical activities (exercise) into her daily routine instead of relying on a pill?!  Not to mention that all these drugs introduce a litany of potential side effects and complications.  Seems the 'potential' side effects are often times worse than the actual medical issue being treated.  After all, diet and exercise are some of the best things that can be done for your overall health and wellbeing.

I find it odd that such a commercial would use overweight actors to push a product that might not be needed if in better health.

No comments: