Friday, August 09, 2024

A Member Of The Buckwheat Family

In all the years growing up in Westwood and working in the yard, it wasn't until the year we sold the house in 2019, that the below plant first appeared.  I had never seen this plant on the property or surrounding areas before then.

There were several of these plants, Virginia knotweed, growing next to the front stairs.  I found it interesting, liked the color combinations and without knowing what it was at the time or anything about it, I dug up one of the plants and moved it to my yard in Franklin.

The transplant went well and the plant did fine through 2020 but then petered out and only a tiny remnant remains today.  However, it has spread and now starting to pop-up and grow in other areas!  

The two plants picture below look terrific and are doing great, with a handful of other smaller plants in the general area too.

From what I've read this plant is not considered "invasive" but does self-seed, which is what I am seeing.  Seems moths and butterflies are attracted to it too.



Persicaria virginiana, also called jumpseed, Virginia knotweed or woodland knotweed

No comments: