Monday, August 12, 2024

A Sign, Perhaps?!

I came home from my walk yesterday morning to find this beat up polyphemus moth in my driveway.  Sadly, it was dead, which as I understand adult polyphemus moths live only about a week after emerging from it's cocoon. Apparently, they have no digestive track or mouth parts and therefore cannot eat.  It's only function is to mate.  Hoping it was successful.

It is named after Polyphemus, the giant cyclops from Greek mythology who had a single large, round, eye in the middle of his forehead. The name is because of the large eyespots in the middle of the hind wings, which you can still see in the pics below -



Antheraea polyphemus (polyphemus moth)

Here's another interesting fact on this moth, which I found ironic from a timing perspective - 

"Their spiritual symbolism highlights the importance of trusting our instincts and having faith in our inner guidance. They remind us to tune into our intuition and trust the subtle signals we receive.".

  I'm a chronic overthinker and spend WAY too much time in my head.  With all the changes that have happened to me in the last couple of years and now being unemployed, I find myself questioning SO many things and struggle with which road to take and how to move forward.  Perhaps, coming across this beauty and learning it's spiritual symbolism is a sign; one I should heed and put more trust and faith into OR am I'm simply overthinking things once again...

No comments: