Tuesday, October 17, 2023

A Reliable Cover Crop

With the carrots harvested and the raised bed now empty, it was time to plant my winter rye.  A task I've been doing each fall since I began my gardens here at the ole homestead.

My large garden is sloped, so the rye's deep roots helps anchor the soil preventing erosion, as well as the leaching of nutrients.  Come the spring time I'll turn the soil, which in turn helps to feed and add nutrients to the soil.  Winter rye grows quickly even in the colder temps and adds some nice green color during the drab winters months. Back when I had chickens and rabbits I would pick a handful every couple of days and feed it to them.  They loved it and always jockeyed and fought one another to get as much as they could.

4 pounds on Winter Rye seed, purchased from my local Agway -


My large garden with the seed sown -


One of my raised beds, where the carrots were, freshly tilled, raked and rye sown -


Watered and now I wait...

No comments: