Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Rakey Rakey!

I spent several hours this past Sunday afternoon, and again after work yesterday, raking my front yard, and I have the blisters to prove it too!  I didn't rake the entire lawn, you can tell in the picture below where I raked.  Basically under the trees: the oak trees!

My goal was to rake and remove as many acorns as possible! There are a ton of acorns this year, as compared to last! Could it indicate a tough winter ahead, hmmm?!?!

Now there is some old weather folklore about an overproduction of acorns leading to a harsh winter ahead. The problem is the cycle just doesn't work out all the time and there is little correlation. Some years we have tons of acorns and we have a mild winter, then other years few acorns and a harsh winter

We'll see come spring 2024 if there was a correlation this year.


I've filled my green landscape barrel twice.  Not all acorns but believe me there are oodles of them in there!


What I am trying to avoid is the acorns taking root in my lawn, which has already begun.  Many have already started rooting, see below pic example, into the soil and the raking helps rip them out.  If not removed now they'll be harder to remove later and come spring there will be little oaks popping up all over the lawn, no no no!


Also, removing the acorns now helps keep the chipmunks and squirrels from foraging and digging up the lawn, as well as the deer coming to feed on them and pooping all over, which there are several loads out there now, UGH!

No comments: