Thursday, October 12, 2023

It's Garlic Planting Time!

Another fall chore crossed off my list, yippie!

I planted my garlic the other evening.  Three rows, (8) cloves per row.

In years past I would order garlic from Sow True Seeds out of Ashville, NC.  They've been great to deal with and their product is terrific.  However, this year I decided I'd try planting some of the garlic I grew myself and harvested this past July.  Same difference really, just a bit of cost savings.

I chose the three BIGGEST bulbs -


Hoed and marked my rows, placed the cloves and covered with soil - 


Then spread a generous layer of grass clippings and leaves for some added insulation and protection from the coming winter.  In an effort to keep the deer from trampling over and through, as well as to keep the digging squirrels out, I wrapped the bed with 4' wire.


Fingers crossed come spring all (24) cloves takes off.

No comments: